Extension & Renovation of an Estate Cottage
The Harpur Crewe Estate is a 950-acre rural estate situated in Derbyshire and North Staffordshire. It comprises 3 farms, 71 cottages, 1 equestrian facility, 2 office units and 2 holiday cottages.
The Harpur Crewe LLC as estate owners, are a joint landowner and stakeholder in two major development schemes to the south of Derby called Infinity Park and Infinity Garden Village.
Infinity Park Derby which is a 100-acre commercial and technology park.
Infinity Garden Village which is a major 1,850 home residential and commercial development which will contain a new primary school, community hall, shops, health services, a pub, drive-through restaurant and a petrol station.
Acting in our role as managing agents, we provide all aspects of property management across this diverse agricultural and residential portfolio dealing with landlord and tenant matters, lettings, compliance, maintenance and repairs, project management of property refurbishment and renovations, operation of holiday cottages, accounting services. We also advise and act on behalf of the Harpur Crewe LLC on all strategic planning and development matters across their portfolio.
As part of these estate management services, Mather Jamie advised our client on renovation options for an estate cottage in order to increase the accommodation from 2 to 4 bedrooms and create a large, modern ground floor living space.
Mather Jamie’s involvement in the project comprised of:
- Advising the client on conversion potential and estimated returns on project.
- Instructing an architect to design the conversion and apply for planning permission.
- Appointing a quantity surveyor to prepare tender documents for project.
- Attending regular site meetings with the main contractor and professional advisors.
- Overseeing the details of the project and managing cashflow.
- Managing the re-letting of the cottage.
- Created high-quality, 4 bedroomed rental accommodation.
- Increased rent by circa. 275%.
- 15% yield on renovation investment.
- Increased asset value by circa. 80%.
Mather Jamie continue to oversee the management of the cottage for the Harpur Crewe LLC, dealing with rent collection, tenancy matters as well as repairs and maintenance.